Thursday, September 3, 2009

First Day of Pre-School!































Yep, my baby is off to school--it's empty nest time for two hours, twice a week. Any good Mommy would be crying now--remembering the day her baby was born, what a big, smart girl she's become, wondering where the time went. As for me...did I mention two hours TWICE A WEEK???!!! Lest you think I have ice water running through my veins, it's pre-school, for goodness sake. She'll have two years of this before the big K, at which point I'm sure I'll be a mess. Plus, I don't even think they had pre-school in my generation, and look how good we turned out.... Anywho, Rachel was very excited this morning, insisting on wearing her backpack while eating breakfast. As I drove her over, she asked if I was going to stay at pre-school with her. When I told her no, she said, "GREAT!" I guess that two hours works both ways. So, this day is noteworthy for other reasons as well. One, it made me blog, and two, I actually put make-up on before 9am on a day other than Sunday. I may post again next week once Rachel declares a major. In the meantime, though Carl thinks I'm heading straight for the TV and bon bons (are those the same as truffles?) I'm actually going to start packing for our weekend race.

9 comments:

Thoughtful Runner said...

Did everyone notice the slide rules and periodic tables in the background of her school room?? Hmmmm....preschool indeed. (Does Rachel somehow look mortified?? And is that backpack really big enough for her to have her nap in???) I'm just wondering how she will fare as the only girl with 9 boys in the class!!
Oh...and by the way, I thoroughly inventoried all bon bons, treats, cookies, ice cream bars and even the M&Ms to that I will know EXACTLY how many are missing when I get home this afternoon! I also checked the satellite meter and know exactly how many minutes the system has been in use before my departure for work - not to mention weighing the ice cream boxes!
Enjoy your two hours! By the time you finish this blog, she'll be back home...and a day closer to declaring her major.
Did I mention she is still pretty doggone cute...even with that weird expression on her face?

princess jen said...

It's a blog from KAREN! Yay!! It's amazing!! I'm so excited she gets to go to preschool!! Her backpack is bigger than her... I do have a smaller one she can borrow if she's interested!

Super Daysh said...

Karen! Make-up before 9!? I'm so proud!! I am just still getting over the shock I have from you posting a new blog!! It's a miracle!! and it's not even Christmas! Go you. And I'm excited for your two hours. Now you can come visit me in those two hours and REALLY help with Ellie. ;)

Super Daysh said...

Oh yea, and what's with the black backpack! C'mon! It's preschool- she's needs a my little ponies bag or something bright and fun. She's not going to declare her major anytime soon if she can't get a cute backpack. I know I thought much better with cute accessories. ;)

Aunt Marcy said...

For those of you who don't know me - I'm certainly not calling myself "Aunt Marcy" as in "call me Aunt Marcy little Rachel". It's because I joined to comment on my nieces' blog when she was doing a semester in England and now I'm stuck with the account.

THAT SAID - Karen, seems like you stayed quite a while to take pics so right there you lost your alone time.

Why hasn't Rachel declared a major yet? Did she bring her Giraffes with her (don't even tell me - I know the answer).

I'm glad it made you blog. She is a cutey (she's got the skinny Joens thing going).

Mythreesons said...

OK... Dacia totally stole my comment... Seriously, though... what's up with the black back pack!!! She's a girl for heaven's sake, in a class full of BOYS! She need something cute! Poor girl.
And congrats Karen on the make-up. You might have made Rachel go with a boy's ugly backpack, but at least her mommy went looking like a lady. Selfish.
Enjoy your two hours! Although, they cut more into your day than provide a break, I'm finding.
OH, and like Rachel will get to pick her major... you remember who her dad is, right?

Alan J said...

woo hoo, two hours! And pshaw, what is up with that backpack, it's like, so yesterday's boy's fad...

Joe said...

Holy cow what is up with the black backpack?

Joe said...

Hehe - congrats Rachel on pre-school! I hope you have fun!